Pages

Andre Geim on writing

 Andre Geim describe what he learnt from his Russian literature teacher (from the biography)

"I also learned an important lesson from my tutorials in Russian literature. My tutor said that what I was writing was good but it was clear from my essays that I tried to recall and repeat the thoughts of famous writers and literature critics, not trusting my own judgement, afraid that my own thoughts were not interesting, important or correct enough. Her advice was to try and explain my own opinions and ideas and to use those authoritative phrases only occasionally, to support and strengthen my writing. This simple advice was crucial for me – it changed the way I wrote. Years later I noticed that I was better at explaining my thoughts in writing than my fellow students."

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may be interested in these posts

Error in image file conversion: convert-im6.q16: not authorized `test.eps' @ error/constitute.c/WriteImage/1037.

This error is because of the vulnerability. This allows remote execution of code using image formats. So, some Linux distributions by defaul...